East door of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart
The Office of Military & Veterans Affairs (OMVA) is responsible for:
- making the Notre Dame experience robust, inclusive, and vibrant for military-connected students;
- achieving excellence in undergraduate, graduate, and professional education for military-connected students;
- enabling Notre Dame to lead an exemplary model of engagement in the military and veteran space.
We approach this charge from three fundamental perspectives:
1) Make our gratitude everlasting for those men and women in uniform. Since September 11, 2001, more than 5 million veterans have served in the military, some 50,000 have been injured overseas, and nearly 7,000 have been killed in support of combat operations. The Notre Dame community is grateful for their service and sacrifice, and the OMVA ensures that gratitude will always be expressed in a purposeful manner that benefits both our military men and women and their families.
2) Fulfill our moral obligation to service members and their families. The bond between our military and society is bound by a sacred trust, and upholding that trust is not just a matter of societal responsibility—it is also about honor. The OMVA represents Notre Dame’s ongoing commitment to honor those who have so selflessly served our country.
3) Expand our impact and extend our reach in support of the military community. Notre Dame has a proven commitment to those who serve or have served our country in uniform, and we must continue to elevate the standard by which we define excellence.